'Pitiful and stupid': Sylvester Stallone angry after new 'Rocky' spin-off announcement

‘Pitiful and stupid’: Sylvester Stallone angry after new ‘Rocky’ spin-off announcement

As a new film about Rocky Balboa’s former nemesis “Drago” is in development, the boxing franchise star has reiterated his criticism of the project’s producer, Irwin Winkler.

Screenwriter and star of rocky (1976) and its five sequels, Sylvester Stallone spoke this Saturday concerning the announcement of a new spin-off on the boxing franchise, baptized Draco.

Without naming him directly, the American actor attacked in an Instagram post the producer of the project, Irwin Winkler, whom he accuses of having deprived him of part of his financial rights to the hit saga.

“I just found out…Once again the pathetic 94-year-old producer and his selfish, stupid children are chipping away at what’s left of the carcass of a wonderful character,” he said. -he writes on Instagram.

He continues: “I feel sorry for the fans, I apologize, I never wanted Rocky to be exploited so greedily.”

Written by Robert Lawton, Draco tells the story of Rocky Balboa’s former enemy, Ivan Drago, played by Dolph Lundgren in the film Rocky IV, released in 1985 and in Creed II (2018).

point of contention

In mid-July, Sylvester Stallone had already taken the floor on Instagram to summon the producer of rocky and Creed, Irwin Winkler, to return “what remains of his rights” to the films. According to him, the interpreter of Rocky Balboa, would never have touched his shares on this successful franchise:

“After Irwin controlled Rocky for over 47 years, and now Creed, I would really like to get back at least some of my remaining rights, before he passes them on to his children only,” he said. in a post, now deleted.

The character of Rocky Balboa was born from the screenplay written by Sylvester Stallone in 1976. The first part of rocky had won the Oscar for best film in 1977. The actor had confided, in an interview with the American media variety in 2019, having received almost 2.5 million dollars thanks to this film but to have, according to him, been wronged on the amount of these rights.

In the same article, a source also revealed that the actor had received more than 10 million dollars thanks to Creeda spin-off from rockyand its sequel, released in 2018.

Outraged, Dracowhose release date has not yet been communicated, another film from the Rocky franchise, Creed III is scheduled for next November. This is the first spin-off project in which Sylvester Stallone will not appear. However, he will serve as producer alongside Irwin Winkler.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.